Saturday, October 1, 2011

when in Rome, do as the Romans do.



Had a chance for another cultural experience this morning! I was invited to play soccer with the local team at a nearby soccer field this morning. Due to rain, our scrimmage was delayed; we still played in mud. Soccer is very popular in Cameroon, and everywhere I look I see people wearing team jerseys. Last night Yves took us to the city center to purchase authentic Cameroon soccer jerseys, which I sported at the scrimmage today.
There were about 20-25 players split up. Everyone had jerseys/pennys and cleats. I was lacking the cleats so the entire match was a big mud slip 'n slide for me. My trail-running shoes were not cutting it on the field, but luckily I didn't take a dive for a mud bath. Being the rainy season, I assume every weekend that I play will be rainy & muddy.
These guys were very serious about their soccer. It was very clean (referee), no drama that I usually see from soccer players, minor pushing/shoving to get the ball, and many quick arguments after any penalties were called. They embraced me into their game but I think I will have to earn their respect. Its been 10 years since I've played soccer so to say I'm not up-to-par is an understatement.
They did offer me to kick one of the penalty kicks, which I made to bring us to 7-3. We still lost. Fun match nonetheless. Saturdays are practice scrimmage and Sundays are matches with other towns.

1 comment: