Monday, October 17, 2011

Cabaret with a surprise concert



This event happened quite a while ago it seems. Saturday night, October 8, 2011. For the evening we decided to go to a cabaret to listen to Live Cameroonian music. After much trouble getting a ride, we crammed EIGHT people into a small station wagon and headed downtown. The cabaret was called 'Carousel' and when we arrived, we realized there was a concert that night. The famous Cameroonian pop star 'Lady Ponce' was headlining after a few local bands. We arrived about 10PM and ended up staying until 4:30AM. Did I mention Lady Ponce didn't arrive until 4:00AM? We were absolutely exhausted and by the end of the night (early morning, really) I was absolutely ready to crash. The bands we listened to were pretty good. It was a good experience over all. I'm glad we stayed for Lady Ponce to see who this star is, but I wish she had started a little earlier. Everyone was going crazy for her. People would go up on stage and rub money all over her forehead and give it to her. It was quite an interesting event to watch. I ordered chicken + fried plantains, in addition to eating some mystery roadside meat (chicken on a stick?).
I think I would prefer my cabarets to be a little more low-key. I learned a few Cameroonian dance moves thanks to our musically gifted friend Albert. Hopefully we can go to a cabaret again, I would love to listen to Jazz or French music. Cameroonian music is good too. But definitely don't want to be there that late.
On the way home we had car troubles. One of the cars blew a tire so we had to pack into one car. 7 people in a Mercedes this time, a little more breathing room. Since it was the day of the election, and all shops would be closed, we stopped at a bakery @ 5:00AM. We stocked up on bread and munched on donuts while we waited.

1 comment: