Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Motorcycle taxis: will I risk it?


Ever since coming to Yaounde and seeing the prevalence of motorcycle taxis I have wanted to ride one. They are a cheap mode of transportation here and everyone uses them. Apparently they only travel short distances (this was told to me by a taxi driver) so they can have quick turnaround of customers. I've seen all sorts of people on motorcycle taxis. From toddlers going to school, businessmen in suits going to work, and entire families (most I've seen is 5 people on one motorcycle).
I'm told it is a very dangerous method of transportation and there are many motorcycle accidents on a daily basis. I have seen some of the aftermath of motorcycle accidents (nothing too serious) at the Yaounde Central Hospital.
One of the main problems with the motorcycle taxi system is that anyone can purchase a motorcycle and start riding. There is no "Class M license" like in the States. There are no driving schools for motorcycles. No requirements. All you need is your identification card and enough money to purchase one.
True survival of the fittest.
I bring this up today because during our morning run (Yves, Haris, myself) we were constantly honked at by motorcycles. They dodge and weave to beat traffic. We were running at 6:30AM so luckily not as much traffic.
I think I have gotten over the desire to ride a motor cycle taxi. At first I thought it would be a fun roller coaster ride...now I think I might just get hurt. Who knows, maybe I'll do a short run.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more. motorcycle tour

    ReplyDelete