Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Night Shift and Liberty


The Night Shift

I was assigned to work three night shifts in a row.  It was my first time working a night shift.  I was a bit worried about being so tired I couldn’t keep my eyes open for the entire eight hours (11pm until 7am).  Anyone that knows me knows how strongly I feel about getting sufficient sleep (like 8 or 9 hours a night).  However, it wasn’t as much of a problem as I foresaw.  The florescent lights on the ship make it easy to not know the time of day (especially if you don’t look out a porthole).  Also, lights are out in berthing from 1000 until 1600 for day sleepers.  It was a good experience making IVs in the biological safety cabinet.


Volunteering in the Galley

Project Hope volunteered to serve food this past Sunday evening.  We were each given a fancy paper hat to wear, which quickly became drenched in sweat.  It was so hot in the galley even my ankles were sweating.  I have so much more respect for those that have to work there every day!  On a side note, I was really surprised at the number of people who wanted brussels sprouts.  Who knew they were so popular.

Getting ready to serve food.

Exploring Vinh, Vietnam

Yesterday I had a liberty day and went in to Vinh with five other members of the pharmacy crew.  We did some shopping along the streets of Vinh and in the local market.  The local market was a crazy maze of just about everything from knockoff designer handbags and shoes to disco balls and flashing lights to fabric and clothes.  I purchased a rice paddy hat, which local people actually do wear in Vietnam! 


We also spent quite a bit of time in the shopping mall, “Big C.”  The mall has stores in the lower two levels, a supermarket in the third, and a foot court on the fourth level.  I had my first shrimp burger there at the McDonald’s of Vietnam, Lotteria.  The shrimp was actually compressed into a pattie.  I found it to be delicious. 


In the evening we went to the beach and walked down to let the warm ocean water hit our toes.  The city really came alive at night as the lights flashed, music played, and people came out to enjoy the beach and restaurants.  My favorite thing I saw while waiting for the bus was what I like to call the “party golf carts.”  They looked like extended golf carts (two rows of seats behind the driver), with flashing rope light around the frame, and loud music playing.  They were a fun alterative to a taxi.


The Next Three Days

In the upcoming days I will be going out to the fifth MEDCAP.  I'm looking forward to having some patient interactions and listening to patient stories.  An RN told me of two patients recently brought onto the ship for surgery due to scars on their face upper arms and torso.  Both patients said the burn was originally due to fireworks.  A translator was able to learn that the scars were, in reality, from some much more horrific.  In retaliation for their husband cheating on her, a women may have acid poured on her.  One of the patients has lived with the scars for around 18 years.   I cannot imagine the pain or humiliation felt by these women for something that was not their fault.  I truly hope their surgeries are successful and wish them best of luck.  I'm saddened to know these kinds of incidents and retaliations are still occurring against women.

1 comment: