Monday, July 30, 2012

Goodbye Vietnam and Hello Cambodia


Tour of Vinh City

On the 21st of July I went on a tour of the area surrounding Vinh Vietnam.  Unfortunately our tour guides did not speak very much English and there were times I wasn’t sure what I was looking at.  However, I still had a good time and learned more about Vietnam.  Much of the tour focused on Ho Chi Min and communism.  Stops along the tour were Ho Chi Min’s birthplace, the Ho Chi Min Museum, and the Soviet Museum.  The Ho Chi Min Museum was gorgeous with pagoda inspired buildings and tranquil gardens.  The museum included a jeep Ho Chi Min rode in, clothes Ho Chi Min wore, and a memorial to Ho Chi Min.  At the memorial there was a special spot to leave flowers.  I noticed many people looking as though they were praying to the statue of Ho Chi Min.  I found this interesting as most people in Vietnam are atheist, but many practice ancestor worship.  Ho Chi Min was everywhere, as a statue in the park to paintings for sale to plates to eat off of.  It became quite apparent that the people of Vietnam have a great respect for Ho Chi Min and view him as a hero.

Ho Chi Min Museum

Ho Chi Min Museum

At the Soviet Museum we had a tour guide.  She wore a beautiful Ao Dia, a traditional Vietnamese dress.  As we discussed her dress, she told me that I could pull off an Ao Dia myself and that several places sold them in the city.  I was very tempted.  Practicality won out in the end and I did not purchase one…

Ho Chi Min Statue in the Soviet Museum

The last stop of the day was a Temple.  It was elaborately decorated on the inside with gold while the smell of incense hung in the air.  The temple set on top a mountain and offered beautiful views of the Lam River below.  It was a very peaceful, yet hot, environment.

View of the Lam River
 

Surgery

On the 21st I had the opportunity to observe a surgery on an inguinal hernia of a three-year-old girl.  I did not have the opportunity to see much of what was going on, as there were seven other people also trying to observe, plus the three physicians doing the procedure.  The observers were Japanese and Vietnamese physicians and one medical student.   Since they are much more likely to perform a surgery than I am, I tried to stay out of their way as much as possible.  I was able to observe the teamwork between the three physicians as they worked to improve a little girl’s life.  During the surgery a drape was placed, so only the area of the body being operated on was seen.  That being said, I couldn’t forget the precious face of the little girl as the surgeons were performing their operation.  I hope she had a successful recovery from the surgery!

I had the opportunity to see some of the patients as they left the ship on the 24th before we began sailing to Cambodia.  The patients looked so happy and waved as they passed.  It was nice to see the faces of the inpatients that received some of the medications provided by the pharmacy.  Also leaving us on the 24th was the Japanese Ship, Oosumi.  The ship had stayed by our side from Indonesia until the end the Vietnam.  We went outside on the deck to wave goodbye to our Japanese counterparts.  I wish they could have stayed with us throughout Cambodia too.


Fun and Games

On July 24th we held the Pharmacy Olympics.  Games included pin the tail of the water buffalo, pharmacy trivia, building the tallest tower out of boxes of prednisolone acetate ophthalmic solution in 1 minute, and a scavenger hunt.  We played in teams of two.  Josie, an Austrialian pharmacist, and I partnered up to form the Pharminators.  I’m not sure how Josie felt about being my team mate afterwards, but let’s just say that pin the tail on the water buffalo just isn’t my game.  However, we did redeem ourselves by winning the tower building contest with a whopping 24 inch tall tower.
Pharmacy Olympics

The ship provides activities to keep everyone entertained.   One night we had an ice cream social.  The navy band made it a party with their excellent playing.  Another evening we watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol on the flight deck.  It was very windy and everyone’s chairs and popcorn kept wanting to blow away.  However, the weather did make the big sandstorm in the movie much more realistic!  In addition, we had a licensed acupuncturist aboard.  People could sign up for free, so I decided to try it.  I could not feel the needles as all, although there was some tingling and warmth.  I had needles in my ears, neck, lower back, knees, and ankles.  The overall experience was very relaxing I would highly recommend it.

We  left Vietnam and have been in Cambodia for the past couple of days days.  Cambodia offers exciting sites through tours I have booked and MEDCAPs, as well as lots of rain (it is the rainy season right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment