Wednesday, May 30, 2012

We have been without Internet access on the ship since we started sailing. I finally managed to gain access to the ship’s non-classified Internet network today. I am happy to be able to send this update regardless of the rather slow connection.  We had our first orientation at the pharmacy department of the hospital ship on Friday, 05/25/2012, hours before we headed for Indonesia, from Guam. The Navy Pharmacists and technicians were very personable and down-to-earth. They made us all feel at home and got us integrated in their plans seamlessly. They discussed the formulary on the ship and the various disease states they expect to treat on the mission.  Their IV room is fitted with two barrier isolators used for sterile compounding. They sit pretty low and are not adjustable; I’ll definitely need a stool to use them. After orientation we wasted no time in attending to the pre-packaging of medications for the various missions. The team of volunteers and Navy personnel at the pharmacy department struck a very productive rapport right from the onset. We accomplished a lot on our first day working together. We took a break in the afternoon to watch the ship pull out of the docking area. It was an awesome sight seeing this huge ship being pulled out by two small tugboats.


I slept like a baby on my first night on this ship. The gentle rocking of the ship on the water makes for a good night sleep. This rocking of the ship however makes me a little dizzy during the day. I started wearing a sea band yesterday. That stuff works!  We have basically been at the Pharmacy department during the last 4 days of sailing preparing medication and supplies for the mission. Our department is essentially the fulcrum of this mission. There is therefore the need to ensure that we are ready to go when we reach land.  Thankfully everybody in the department is dedicated to the mission and is working very hard to make sure that we meet our objectives. Alexis and I have been familiarizing ourselves with the various disease states we will be treating with the medications we have on board. The sheer volume and variety of these medications have serves as a good revision for me personally.  I have been particularly impressed by the importance and resources allocated to this mission. There are over a thousand volunteers and military personnel on this ship and the provision of nourishment and lodging for us, together with the colossal amount of medications and supplies for the mission have got to run into millions of dollars. It is a very considerate and selfless on the part of the U.S government to devote these resources to provide much needed health care for the under-served populations in the world. Every American should be proud of what our country is doing out here! We will be in Indonesia tomorrow. I hope we will have a more reliable internet access. Then again I will not get my hopes up for that because we will be stationed on a remote Island delivering care to the locals. I will however keep you posted anyway I can.

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely bringing my sea bands for the trip because I'm worried about getting dizzy during the day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are going well, Kofi!! Thanks for blogging and posting pics! I'm glad to read that you're having a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll definitely need those sea bands Brittany!

    ReplyDelete