Monday, May 21, 2012


Day 1:
Kofi and I are sitting here in the airport about to begin our journey half-way around the world. At this moment, I am feeling overwhelmed with different emotions. I’m excited and nervous to begin this journey, but I’m also sad to say bye to my friends and family for such a long period of time since we’re so close. However, we all know this trip is the opportunity of a lifetime and I couldn’t feel more blessed to have been chosen to experience this life-changing event. 
In the big scheme of things, I’m honestly not sure what to expect at all.  I know the living arrangements will be difficult to adjust to but I’m mostly worried about what I will see in Indonesia and the Philippines.  I’ve never seen a 3rd world country first hand and I don’t really know how I will react and feel when I meet some of the people.  I know it may be emotional and difficult to see such poor living conditions but I’m really hoping to meet some people that will change my outlook on everything.  I hope to learn from every person I meet and even though we may speak different languages, I hope to communicate with them and understand how they’re feeling.
So far our journey has started off as an adventure for sure. The first thing I got this morning was an email from one of our directors saying there was a cyclone warning in Guam and the boat may be delayed from docking, therefore forcing us into a delay or having to get a hotel room for the night when we landed. However, things seem to be back on schedule now as we are about to board the plane for Tokyo, Japan. Hopefully things will still be on schedule when we land in 14+ hours!  I’ve never been on a plane for longer than a 5-hour flight, never mind almost 14 hours. But then again, this journey is full of “never have I ever’s.”  It will definitely be an adventure, which it’s already proven true! Hopefully I will be posting again soon…

2 comments:

  1. You definitely don't hear anything about cyclone warnings in this part of the world. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete