Monday, August 24, 2015

Finally a post!

Hello friends and family,

We have been doing super awesome things, but unfortunately the wifi is not cooperating with posting. SO here it goes, a shortish recap of our adventures.

Our flights were uneventful, but once we got to the airport in Santo Domingo we both realized pretty quickly that we had no idea what we were doing. You are given a bunch of forms to fill out and you need to buy a visa and such. Everything was written in spanish so we were just stumbling along following the crowds, which eventually got us to the right place. Once we got out of the main part of the airport the Project HOPE volunteer director and our preceptor were waiting for us to take us to the hotel, which was a huge help because otherwise we would have been completely lost. The next day we waited at the airport for a while until the navy got a few buses to take us to dock.

The tinder boat ride from the dock to the anchored ship was very exciting. It was rocking and bumping like crazy, and the entire boat had to get lifted up to the main deck of the boat so we could unload. It was such an experience. If I could I would post the pictures, but alas I think the internet would explode if I tried.

The next day we had off to acclimate ourselves to the ship, so we hung around the pharmacy and prepackaged medications for Honduras. Ship life is definitely an adjustment. I never lived in a dorm room in college, but I imagine it is similar to that but with less personal space. Our bunks are tiny, but cozy. After a few days I adjusted and was finally able to sleep. I have also decided I really enjoy not having to cook myself meals everyday. Its quite nice. Being able to call home and talk to my husband everyday has helped with the adjustment too I think, so I am not as homesick as I would be without that wonderful advantage.

The past few days have all been very busy. I have gone out to the med sites 5 times, and 1 day Ryan and I got to go on a SMEE (subject matter expert exchange) to a local hospital and tour the pharmacy. We ended up going to three pharmacies around and eating some delicious local food so that was pretty exciting. The med sites were really hot, but the time flies. I have eaten several MRE's, and am proud to say that I think they are really fun. Its like a fun bag of goodies, and you don't really know what you are going to get. Lunch is always an exciting surprise. They are not nearly as bad as people said they are, although I am sure they get old after so long.

Yesterday we pulled the anchor up and Ryan and I watched from the tippy-top part of the ship (no idea what it is called, I am sure it has a more legitimate name). We are currently in transit from the Dominican Republic to Honduras, and I think we will arrive in a few days. I am hearing that Guatemala was the hottest place, and since Honduras is right there also I am preparing myself for some wicked hot days at the med-sites.

There has been a ton that we have done and learned, and it would take a ton of time to post it all. Ryan and I are having a lot of fun, and we are trying to take advantage of every opportunity that is offered aboard. Hopefully I will be able to post more frequently in Honduras.

Amanda

5 comments:

  1. Among those posts I've seen, this is the most particular one, and I think the blogger must have spent lots of time on it, thank you so much!

    deck flooring supplier in india

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual I am searching some useful information, immediately I found this post and gain some useful information, great work such a great brain to use.
    Barbados event

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your work and very amazing and important information about the health and body care which have share in this blog.
    Tablete Za Erekcijus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hvala na važnim i korisnim informacijama. Saznajte više o svoje tijelo sposobnosti posjetom online ljekarnu.

    ReplyDelete