Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Land Ho!

Well, we did it. We traveled halfway around the world, boarded our ship, and figured out how to find our beds, the showers, and food - the necessities. Now, after only a little more than a day's sail, we are anchored off the coast of Timor Leste, where the first of our medical missions on this rotation will take place.
According to the schedule, I'll get to work at two different sites on the island in the next week or so, both of which will be around the capital of Dili. If it works out, I might also get to run in the marathon race (well, I'll run 7K, while others run the full marathon), which is a piece of the partner-building mission here in Timor. Plans change daily around here, so I can just do what they ask me, and wait for the next "brief" to find out what is new.



Ship life is great though, apart from being away from my family. Eating, sleeping, exercising and reading compose most of my day. Last night was special though, as we celebrated the 113th Hospital Corpsman's birthday, and suprisingly enough we have US Army on board, and so it was a dual celebration of the Army's 236th birthday as well. There was a really touching ceremony commemorating those who have served before, all long with all of the niceties such as cake, a juice-like drink, and some fun and dancing.


Another part of ship-life is the struggle for communication. So, whenever the internet or phones are working I try and contact my family back home, but neither are very reliable. Today, the Navy is busy with the current operations, which allows us civilians band-width enough to get some things done. After tomorrow, life should get quite a bit busier (and hotter) as we hit the shore and get to work. Until then...adieu

1 comment:

  1. Andy,
    I wish you and all of those aboard the best and a most successful mission. As you know, giving of yourself to others will be rewarded many times over. Wish I was there with you.
    Best,
    (Uncle) Tripp

    ReplyDelete