Friday, June 26, 2009

Traveling, Traveling, Traveling

My day began early in the AM waking slightly before 4:15 am. Since I had read the packing list a hundred times and packed the before, it only took me a few minutes to get ready for the adventure of a lifetime. Arriving at the airport around 5 when it opens, I was amazed to see so many people crowding the ticket area. I never imagined that the tiny little airport would be so busy at that time of day. After a long line at the checkout counter and an even longer one at TSA, I finally made it to my gate where I was informed that had I been 3 minutes later, I would have missed my flight! Luckily, I made it and the flight was short and uneventful as all flights should be.

Arriving at Atlanta, I filled my 2.5 hours exploring the airport, devouring a smoothie, calling my folks for the last time, and finding my new gate assignment. When we boarded the plane, I was delighted to find that I had been booked in business class. It was the first time I had the pleasure of being waited on as if I was someone of importance. They provided me with a wonderful lunch: chicken and vegetables with pasta, fresh garden salad, a whole wheat roll, and a heavenly brownie cheesecake. The food was phenomenal and hours later I would be so thankful for that meal and the stroke of fate that fed me.

On the plane ride to El Salvador, I began to worry about not being able to find my transportation from the airport to the boat. I had not received anything except my flight Itinerary. I began searching my flight to see if I could see anyone else wearing a Project HOPE shirt or hat but to my surprise there was no one else on my plane that was heading to the ship.

When we landed, I was fortunate to make it through customs and immediately spot another "HOPEY" volunteer. With a group of about 6 of us we made it through baggage claims and headed outside where we met several more volunteers waiting on our ride to the ship. Once everyone had gathered we were told that we could not find the bus. We sat there for about 4 hours frantically searching the parking lot and making phone calls to the ship where our leader was informed that the bus indeed was there.

We were all starving by the time we figured out that our bus driver indeed was there at the airport; and in fact, he had been there since we arrived. He was holding a sign that said "CONFORT" which is a local hotel so we were told that he was not our ride. In addition he was told to pick up the CONFORT volunteers and all of our shirts said Project HOPE. This little mix up was a blessing in disguise because it allowed us to get to know the other members of the HOPE team.

Once on the bus, it was a 3 hour ride across the beautiful countryside of El Salvador. With it being the rainy season, the sky was a gunmetal gray and everything was newly bathed in fresh rain. The landscape of El Salvador was breath-taking. The lush green color of new life flowed over the land as we traversed the country. I was amazed at how nice the houses looked along the road with the architectural flourishes that adorned some of the homes and businesses. I was surprised to see how clean most of the streets were compared to what I had seen in Nicaragua just 5 short weeks ago.

Our bus journey ended as we rounded the corner into an El Salvador Military base. Everyone on the bus was so excited we began to frantically search the shoreline for a glimpse of our new home. We piled out on the pier, snapping as many pictures as we can. We were greeted by several officers and civilian seamen, but there was no Comfort.

The original plan was for the Comfort to dock at La Union. El Salvador was supposed to dredge the port so the Comfort could dock there, but for some reason the port was not dredged. Because of our ship's size and the port is not as conducive for the ship, the Comfort has to dock 12 miles away. Traveling by a small hospitality boat, it takes about an hour and a half to traverse the distance and go around a small island to get to the bay were we are anchored. Our group had the pleasure of taking a smaller transport boat called a hospitality boat over to the Comfort.


That was a delight in and of itself. I was lucky to get on the first boat ride over to the ship for the second hospitality boat wouldn't arrive on ship until 2 hours later. It was dusk with a light mist on the air when I donned my lifejacket and found a seat that offered a breeze under the canvas awning. With the steady humming of the engine we rode the waves up and down, up and down. With green and red flashes of light from buoys guiding us to our destination, we skimmed over the sea.

The smell of the recent rain combined with the salt water of the sea made an interesting aroma of adventure. As the sun set and darkness enveloped the rest of the world, the only light remaining was the one light on the back of the ship illuminating our American flag. With a sporadic spry of sea water teasing my hair and clothing, it began to sink in that I was in the middle of a tropical place preparing to board a huge ship. Bobbing up and down with the thrum of the engine and the gentle murmur of shouted conversations, I swelled with pride at being able to be a part of something bigger than myself.

Once our ship game into view we began to wonder how we were going to board such a massive floating vessel. The captain explained that the Comfort would lower a life boat down the side of the ship and we were going to tie our hospitality boat to the lifeboat. We needed to be very careful transferring from boat to boat. With the swells, you had to pick the right timing to jump over to the other ship. Once everyone had been transferred to the lifeboat and all the luggage had been switched over, the crew of the Comfort hoisted us aboard.

We ended up getting to the ship about 8:30 pm central time. We had to fill out some forms and have out temperatures taken in order to move on to the galley for a late night meal. Dinner never tasted so go after hours of traveling. After an abbreviated ship orientation, we headed down to overflow berthing where I would get my bunk and locker assignments. Tucked in to my middle bunk, I was ready to close my eyes and get some well needed sleep.
Photo Album

No comments:

Post a Comment