Saturday, June 16, 2012

MEDCAP 2: Day 6


I was up and moving by 0415. I quickly got dressed and started packing up my cot and mosquito net. Everyone was bustling around to get everything packed up. I had just gone to the bathroom for what I hoped was the last time there when I heard the helo. I got SO excited to know we were being saved! It dawned on me to check my watch and it was only 0530 so I knew something was up. Sure enough, word at muster 15 min later was that the helo had only dropped some nets and logistic men and wouldn’t be returning until the afternoon after placing MEDAP 5 (Kofi). So we weren’t saved yet…
After hearing that news, I was crabby and smelly (no real shower for going on 6 days) and tired. We finished cleaning up the school area and walked over to the helo site. After about 30 minutes the OIC decided we would just hang out back at the school for a few hours so we would be out of the sun. He also gave us liberty but made it clear that if you heard the helos you betting be running because they weren’t going to wait for anyone. We went back to the school and sat on the steps again for about an hour before a group of 4 of us decided to take one last walk down to the market. So we walked and talked for the ½ mile journey. It was me, Flying Officer Warren (Sam), 2nd OIC Moreno-Chow, and the Dental Hygenist Shannon. As soon as we got there, I went straight to the store with the cold drinks a bought an ice cold soda. It was SO refreshing, I could feel my bad mood melting away. We just so happened to walk by the beach just as our translators were leaving by boat. We frantically waved and wished them well. We walked around and bought some snacks and such before heading up the hill back to the school. When we got back, we sat and chatted for about an hour before I finally laid back on the tile and fell asleep. I woke up a while later very stiff and uncomfortable, but feeling quite refreshed. However, my uncomfortable nap quickly left my memory when a local woman brought over a whole container of fresh, fried bananas. I cannot even describe how AMAZING fried bananas are. I was definitely in heaven. I ate 2 and would have had more if they weren’t so filling. We began to chat again as a thunderstorm rolled in. The rain didn’t stop the guys from playing basketball with the kids though. I couldn’t help but think to myself that the storm was delaying our departure. I was beyond ready for a shower! We mustered again around 1200 to get our stick assignments for the helo ride back before walking back over to the field. Thank the Lord I was on stick #1!! That meant a shower sooner than later! So we walked back up to the field where by now all the bleachers and areas surrounding were filled with people watching and waiting. We waited for what seemed like eternity with people constantly asking us for photos. I was so disgusting, I can’t imagine why they would want a picture of me. Some people would even just walk up, not say anything, snap a photo, and then just walk away.
Finally, around 1300, the helo came and got the COMS guys going to the next MEDCAP. About 15 min later, another helo came for stick 1 (me!) and we left as quickly as we arrived. The first thing I did when returning to the ship was shower, of course. I then threw on some PT gear since that was the only clean clothes I had.  I immediately threw the nasty clothes I was wearing in the wash. We had to muster 1 last time as a group once all the people were back and I refused to wear those clothes without cleaning them. It felt soooo good to be back on the ship and get clean. My gear didn’t get back until later that evening so I had to wait to do all my laundry with everyone else getting back that night. I was so exhausted by the time I went to bed I couldn’t fall asleep. My thoughts were cycling over the experiences from the past 6 days as I finally closed my eyes in my own bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment