Tuesday, September 20, 2011

arrived and hit the ground running


Hello readers!
The Project HOPE team (Kamran, Tim, Megan) has safely arrived in Yaounde, Cameroon. I had quite some experiences in the travels; the layover in Paris + Casablanca were uneventful and slightly cumbersome. Finally made it to Yaounde at 3:10AM this morning and on little sleep.
The updates will be frequent and short. Today being the first day, I don't have much to tell about. We took a grand tour of the hospital today, the Maria Rosa Nsisim Hospital and met with the Blaz Family (founders/CEO/board director).
Yaounde is an interesting place, definitely culture shock for me. We don't have running water but we have a 32" plasma! (they are working quickly on the running water issue).
The highlight of the day was meeting with the Blaz family and hearing their vision. The hightlight of the tour was to see the NICU, I saw a 4 babies there and one of them only weight 750gm!! They are so tiny and cute. I hope they make it; unfortunately the infant mortality rate here is very high.
I don't know if I can load pictures but I will try to keep them coming. For now, enjoy the first sight you see at the International Airport in Yaounde`.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Kamran! Glad you made it there safe and sound!!

    ReplyDelete