Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Spice Islands

This has been a pretty eventful week. Last Sunday we were surprised to learn that we would all have one day of liberty and get to tour the island of Ternate. My group went on Monday. The two islands we are docked near, Ternate and Tidore, are known as the “Spice Islands.” People were sorting cloves and nutmeg along the side of the street. Our tour bus took us to several forts built by the Dutch, Spanish, and Portuguese. Then we went to the Sultan’s Palace and ended at the local beach. Our tour guide told us that the island only gets like 10 tourists per year, so we were a big attraction on the island.

Tuesday, I got to go on my second MEDCAP to Tidore. It was a very busy day. I got to go with a pharmacist from the US Public Health Service, an Indonesian pharmacist, and we had several other translators. Whoever was hosting us was really nice and even brought everyone a morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack. Everytime I turned around, someone was bringing me some excellent homemade food, which is a definite change from the MRE’s/not eating that usually takes place.

The end of the week I had my first-ever night shifts. I got to make all the pre-op IV’s for the next day and we got all of the discharge medications ready for all the patients getting off the ship. It is a good thing that the ship is large and anchored, because I don’t know how well I would have done if is was smaller and rocking. I got used to sleeping during the day. Because there are no windows down in my berthing, I don’t really ever know what day or time it is. However, I do not think it matters how much I sleep during the day, I am always tired by 5am.

I am trying to get readjusted to working days again. We are underway for one day as we travel to Ambon and on the 27th I am going on a 7 day overnight mission. I am really excited! We will be sleeping on the Australian ships that Brian slept on, and I have heard nothing but good things. There is even a rumor of a helo ride, but we will have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment