Tuesday, July 7, 2009

June 30th It feels good to be needed.

The journey from Washington Dulles to Apia, Samoa was long and arduous. Between the time zone shifts and crossing the date line twice in one day (is that possible?) my total travel time was lost to me. Nevertheless we arrived at the pier in Apia around 2330 Tuesday, June 30th. The ship was anchored about a mile off shore. While waiting for the RHIB boat (rigid-hulled inflatable boat) to collect us, we were exchanging introductions with the Navy personnel and others that had just arrived to Apia. When I mentioned my name, Petty Officer Akins' eyes widened. "You're John Hammill? We've been looking for you!" he said. He then presented me with a piece of paper that contained orders to pack a small bag with clothes and supplies for a 3 day RON (Remain Over Night) mission and report to the helo hanger at 0630.

We will be traveling to the village of Sataua, Samoa on the island of Savaii. My preceptor, John Nett, and I will be the pharmacy contingent for this mission. In fact, with the exception of a single Navy Pharmacy Technician, we represent the entire pharmacy team for the whole Pacific Partnership. It feels good to be needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment