Friday, July 17, 2015

Continuing Promise 2015: Colombia...ALL THE DAYS

 JULY 10, 2015 FRIDAY: BLOG POST #5
        0530 shower, breakfast, 0700 muster
         Today we attempted laundry. Out of 10 washers and dryers about half of them are out of service and since a lot of people went out to site we all had the same idea to wash clothes today…so we waited around for a free washer which usually takes 35minutes to run a load…we went back up to pharmacy and helped clean and watched movies…we went back down to switch our laundry at the 37minute mark and someone had already switched our clothes into dryers and started them so that was nice…not quite like back in undergrad when you would just find a pile of your wet clothes in the corner…

JULY 11, 2015 SATURDAY
            Day #2 at medsite #1 today I brought along $5 because there was a restaurant behind the site that was approved for us to get lunch if we wanted…the most popular dish was fried chicken, coleslaw, beans/peas, rice, soup, a fried plantain and guava juice…chicken was more just breaded but it was still a decent meal and it gave me a chance to try Colombian food. Today was supposed to be set up as a general health fair and you could tell on the walk to the site! There were tents and balloons and massive lines…in the brief before we got started they said they were expecting 20-30,000 patients to come through (we did about 860 scripts so we didn’t see anywhere near that number but still a large crowd). We got a warning about if any vendors were trying to offer us skee (or ski?) to get away because it was cocaine…you know Colombia after all…TODAY WE HAD AN INTERPRETER! Things went very smoothly on site…with the usually hurry up and wait…
            So once we got back to the pharmacy we heard that someone at site #2 got shot…turns out it was an engineer (called CBs in the navy) that got electrocuted…saying “shock” sounds exactly the same as “shot”…so there was a nice mini panic when the pharmacy was trying to get an emergency bag ready for a gunshot wound…also both helicopters were down so the patient had to endure the hour boat ride back to the Comfort…

JULY 12, 2015 SUNDAY
            The usual morning routine plus we swept and mopped the whole pharmacy…extra power hour so we cleaned the cabinets and whatever else we could find to do…this may have been part of another day’s activities but the days have started to blur together…Today I made 10 cefazolin ANCEF bags in the MIC hood…I’ve never used that kind of hood before and it was nice to actually practice making IV bags since most sites I’ve been too just have students observe…There were 2 separate patients that needed ANCEF bags for surgery prophylaxis which we did a dosage check for using 30mg/kg…patients weighed 29 and 30kg therefore the calculation looks something like this… (each vial contains 330mg/1mL)
            330mg/1mL= 900mg/x      x=2.7mL àput into 50mL normal saline bag
                   YAY! I math'd my way through it. LT X has actually impressed me with his speed of calculations in his head...his also shown me some short cuts for APAP and IBU dosing...he worked it out and proved it to me of course but man does it amaze me how some people's brains work

JULY 13, 2015 MONDAY
            Today I mixed Zosyn 3.375mg…everyone hates making the Zosyn because it takes a pretty long time to reconstitute…but I liked the practice…LT Xie went over the chemical structures of morphine and heroine and compared them…morphine has an OH group where heroine has COOH which makes it more lipophilic therefore crossing the blood brain barrier more easily and having a more addictive profile. I went over my notes on sedation and ICU since there are now plenty of patients on board getting surgery and if I ended up back in the OR I wanted to be prepared for any questions that would get thrown my way…

JULY 14, 2015 TUESDAY
            Today was my first day at medsite #2 in Juanchaco…this site is definitely what you think of when you think of rural places we would go to provide healthcare…today we rode out on the hospitality boats (canvas covers)…the ride to the site is longer and slower than to site 1…I listened to the Wilder Mind Mumford & Sons album all the way through consecutively 3 times + another random assortment of about 10 other songs…Mumford was a good choice for the slow ride as the sun was coming up over the coastline…can’t take in that kind of view with Bangerz or Turn Down for What blasting lol…I got stuck with a pretty crappy seat on the boat as it had no back and my feet didn’t touch the ground…really I was just on a storage box…this Army photographer had a much better seat


            So once we pulled up to the little pier in Juanchaco we were in a little beachside town that was mostly restaurants…there was a random horse and plenty of stray dogs…We walked on a sandy unpaved road for about 5 minutes until we turned and got to a concrete path that’s only big enough for 1 car…it was a nice scenic walk that definitely looked like the jungle with shanty houses that were all open air without glass windows…not quite like Vietnam jungle I picture from Forrest Gump but still the jungle…The walk took about 20 minutes and all along the way we had protection from Colombian Marines…some you could see and some you could just make out posted back in the brush…we were told there were recent cases of murder, kidnappings, and rape in the past 2 weeks as well as that we had diagnosed a few cases of malaria since we got to Colombia so security and the harping on taking doxy were high…It rained for about an hour...but I didn't have a problem..after all my awesome tactical pants are waaaaaterrrrprooooof (Yeah, I just said that like Oprah)...The site was actually set up in a school…it was much nicer than the site 1 there was a fan and light…granted the pharmacy was set up in a room right next to the port-a-potty’s but it wasn’t terrible because they were nicer port-a-potty’s that actually “flushed”. All the classrooms were open air without doors and just metal bars on the windows…it was a pretty large compound but I’m not sure how many grades there were in the school. WE HAD A GREAT TRANSLATOR today…Sintayehu and Aycock were actually getting some Spanish lessons so it was a pretty fun day…the volume of scripts is not even close to site 1 so we took time going over iron, prednisolone, Septra, IBU, APAP, amoxicillin, and Benadryl dosing…there were considerably more peds patients. Something else we noticed was there were many women who were getting their contraceptive implants removed from their arms…not sure if it was part of the nation’s healthcare plan for population control but almost every women that came through had one…what struck me was women that were only 17-19 years old had chief complaints of infertility and were worried they couldn’t get pregnant…very different from in the States where many people are having children in their 30s….it was also around 1000 and we got several questions from patients if there was any reaction with alcohol and albendazole because they already had some drinks this morning…island life man, living that island life…there was also a restaurant across the street we could get food from some people had a whole snapper fish meal and LT X had a sea snail dish…I opted for a quick break with a nice chicken fajita MRE whereas LT X waited for over 40 minutes to get his meal.
On the boat ride back I listened to a different playlist...you feel pretty bad ass pulling away from shore listening to the first 10 seconds of Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum...I also tried to see how many times I could listen to the same song on repeat...why because I have nothing but time...I listened to See You Again by Wiz Khalifa/Charlie Puth but after about the 13th time I switched to some Bob Marley...
#WhatDidIJustWrite #WhatADay #DistractWithPictures #ThundercatsHOOO
: random horse...really pony sized

you can see the Comfort from shore at Juanchaco

Me: She does exist (said like Santa in M&Ms commercial)

Sintayehu carrying empty totes blocking my picture




Aycock carrying empty totes...they joked that I should carry all 5 totes back...but they actually didn't let me carry any...



JULY 15, 2015 WEDNESDAY

            Today I went back to medsite #1 and did A LOT of checking…LT Phung forgot to drink plenty of water and started crashing really fast…she was basically napping but it was fine because Jerline and I were able to knock it out. Hedgespeth was pulling the meds, I was tallying and checking, Jerline was checking and handing out the medications. We were lucky enough to get 2 medical school student translators. HM1 Rana took it upon himself to stand at the door as a bouncer to keep patients from making multiple trips and messing up the flow of which patients were seen and had gone through discharge…It was a constantly busy day but we had fun…At site 1 to walk to the head (port-a-potty’s) you had to go under the bleachers on the other side…maybe like 5’5” clearance…LT Phung is slightly shorter than I am and I don’t have to duck at all but she was walking next to Hedgespeth and he had to duck and you just see LT Phung duck…it was hilarious…also Hedgespeth accidentally splashed some of the orange powdered drink from his MRE into his eyes…it got around his glasses and into his eyes…maybe like 3 drops worth but he acted like it was acid and that we has blind…very dramatic but very entertaining…A nice busy day full of pharmacy and getting to know the other techs I hadn’t spent a lot of time with yet…today we found out that they had seen all the patients there were at site 2 so they were going to shut it down early…made me glad I signed up for an extra day on site since I was now cut a day short since I was scheduled to go back to site 2 on 7/17…I was extremely efficient today...as soon as we got back to the Comfort I changed into gym clothes, got my laundry and put it in the washer, went to muster, when that was done I put clothes in the dryer and during those 40 minutes I went to the weight gym and did arms (biceps, triceps, and shoulders) and obliques...Family tell Danilo!
#NoDeadlifting2300To0300 #BecauseThatsAThingHere #ThrowItOnTheGround

JULY 16, 2015 THURSDAY
    The usual routine but I worked out again today...I know I'm on a roll...I went to the weight gym and did a 5k on the treadmill in the cardio gym...it took me 26 minutes which isn't terrible since I haven't ran since high school...all the stairs here on the ship and walking all the stairs at the Rosslyn metro station last rotation must've done something...

No comments:

Post a Comment