Monday, June 29, 2015

Continuing Promise 2015: Colombia and Dominica

I'll start this off with the disclosure that this blog is about my experiences and is in no way to represent the opinions of the Project HOPE organization as a whole...that being said buckle up...this will be in true Heather Heskett fashion: blunt and often disjointed thoughts, lacking nearly all proper punctuation and hopefully entertaining and informative

Thoughts before I leave…
            I am both anxious and excited for this upcoming rotation. Anxious because you never know what to expect with all new places and people (that dreaded 1st day of school feeling). I’m embarking on this journey with Emily…she still counts as new because I’ve only seen/talked to her through VTC/Facebook a couple of times...we’ll actually meet for the first time at the airport. Another source of anxiety is that I don’t know ANY spanish. However, the anxiousness fades fairly quickly as I prepare for what is ahead and watch this motivational speech:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU
           Here’s the short list of things I’m excited about: 
                 1. Uh hello I’M ON A BOAT!
                 2. I don’t have to “dress up”! (This might very well be #1…after all I was “most likely to wear sweatpants”) 
A uniform is very much welcomed in my book since I don’t have to worry about doing my hair (YAY for hats) or putting together a stylish professional outfit. 
                 3. Project HOPE has been around longer than the Peace Corp so clearly they know what they are doing and I'm someone who craves efficiency and a plan. 
Some of you may be wondering: What does Project HOPE do?
        When you go on their website (http://projecthope.org/) there is an extensive list but the summary is: “Project HOPE delivers essential medicines and supplies, volunteers and medical training to prevent disease, promote wellness, respond to disaster and save lives around the globe.” Now what did I take away from that statement? 
                             ESSENTIAL: (adjective) absolutely necessary; extremely important. 
We are so lucky to live in America…land of the free, home of the brave…where many think a morning Starbucks coffee is essential to daily life. Louis C.K. puts it in perspective...
            

While first-world-problems.com and the assortment of Internet memes provide plenty of entertainment...I get the opportunity to experience a totally different side of the world and hopefully witness what it is really like to be able to provide the very definition of essential healthcare to more than deserving patients. In our country we have Urgent Cares and MedClinics on nearly every corner making access to healthcare easier than setting up a successful LinkedIn profile…who knows how often these patients get healthcare attention? I will not take these experiences lightly!

What do I know about the places I will be visiting? 
           We will be in port at Buenaventura, Colombia…all it takes is quick Google search to know it is not the place you want to be
                                                 Here’s a link for you to read at your leisure:

           Next stop: Roseau, Dominica

Now to tie it all back to pharmacy...after all this is part of my APPE 4th year rotations

Preparing for Malaria Prophylaxis
·                        From Lexicomp:
·      MALARONE: Atovaquone and Proguanil (a TOE va kwone and pro GWA nil)
o   Prevention of malaria (prophylaxis): Atovaquone/proguanil 250mg/100mg once daily starting 1-2 days prior to entering a malaria-endemic area, continue throughout the stay and for 7 days after returning
o   Administer with food or milk-based drink at the same time each day
o   Adverse reactions: abdominal pain, N/V (nausea/vomiting), elevated LFTs (liver function tests)
§  Less common: HA (headache), dizziness, pruritus, diarrhea, anorexia, neuromuscular and skeletal weakness
o   MOA (Mechanism of Action):
§  Atovaquone: selectively inhibits parasite mitochondrial electron transport
§  Proguanil: the metabolite cycloguanil inhibits dihydrofolate reductase, disrupting deoxythymidylate synthesis.
§  Together: atovaquone/cycloguanil affect the erthrocyctic and exoerythrocyctic stages of development
o   Atovaquone: >99% protein binding, Proguanil: 75% protein binding
o   Metabolism: Proguanilàhepatic to active metabolites: cycloguanil (via CYP2C19) and 4-chlorophenylbiguanide
o   Bioavailability: 23% when administered with food

·      Why no doxycycline? Because I didn’t want to deal with the photosensitivity and esophageal erosion...my twin sister took doxycycline for awhile and was so nauseous she couldn’t even…So why? Why? Why would I put myself through that when I’m expecting to already be motion sick half the time?
  
    "It's not your life, it's life. Life is bigger than you. Life isn't something that you possess, it's something that you take part in and you witness" - Louis C.K.

   #firstblogEVER #HOPEyoulearnedsomething #moretocome #2LouisCKquotes?

No comments:

Post a Comment